Our planners have successfully achieved consent for a 54-unit apartment and mixed-use development in a prime location in Papakura central. South 83 is located in the traditional shopping precinct, the site on Great South Road is close to retail, leisure, parks and community facilities. Transportation options include frequent bus services passing right past the front entranceway and the train station is just down the road.
Under the new Auckland Unitary Plan Papakura Central has been identified as a future sub-regional centre of greater Auckland and is therefore perfect for this kind of medium density development. Auckland’s Urban Design Panel are supportive of the proposal as it complements the existing character of the area, is extremely well connected to local services and is the first development of this kind and scale in Papakura.
Paul Brown Architects designed the six-story building which includes:
- Two towers, each with five levels of apartments, some featuring double-height living/dining rooms
- 54 residential units
- 195m2 commercial space on the ground floor fronting Great South Road
- Parking for 60 vehicles
- Bicycle parks and storage
Our planning team prepared the resource consent application and supporting reports after a considerable time researching and liaison on:
- Height restrictions impact on the building’s design, due to the Ardmore Airport proximity and other local overlays
- Assessment of environmental effects (and reviewing if they affect neighbouring properties)
- The provision of site works
- Excavation and earthworks
- Erosion and sediment controls
- Review of infrastructure and provision of services
- Co-ordinated specialists for input on traffic access, parking and formation of vehicle access
- We also advised the good news that the site is not subject to any flooding related issues, a subject our team investigated with an overland flow engineering infrastructure report summarising flood hazards and a review of potential flood plain areas
Auckland desperately needs more housing and this kind of development will help by increasing the quantity of quality accommodation options close to employment, education facilities, services, transportation and amenities. Plus there is the added benefit of the economic effects for a wider area and local providers involved in redevelopment of the site. The Papakura region is a future growth area and ideal for regeneration, to find out more about our planning and engineering services click here.